So this happened in August.
Yep, I’m really getting behind with these posts.
Much like the visit to Giorgio’s, I was concerned I had lost the photos from this event as well. Turns out, I didn’t!
Anyways, since it’s so long ago and it’s not like you’ll be able to go to this again any time soon.. I will say it was a delicious meal. It was more timely than the meal of courses in 2015. The highlight was the bisque. The weather was gorgeous and the setting stunning. The company was really great – my brother visiting from Calgary.
Because of the price point, it’s not an event for everyone, but I wanted to take my brother out for a nice meal and really showcase what the north has to offer, and that’s what it did.
I got to check out the SS Klondike for the first time, so we’ll start with some of those photos.
And the food?
Come and join us on the grounds of the historical sternwheeler, the S.S Klondike, a Parks Canada National Historic site, for a fun–filled evening celebrating the history and bounty of the Yukon. Imagine white tents, long tables, candle light and the opportunity should you wish, to dress up in your finest period costumes!
Local chef Carson Schiffkorn is passionate about the territory and the cuisine that is now defining the region. When Parks Canada shared the historic S.S. Klondike menu with Carson late last year showing what was served on the S.S. Klondike during its historic voyages, he was amazed at how relevant it was still today.
This evening is all about creating a menu inspired by that original menu that was served when the S.S. Klondike plied the upper Yukon River between Whitehorse and Dawson City in the first half of the twentieth century. This is a rare chance to travel back in time and experience a true farm-to-table dinner along with a delicious welcome cocktail by Yukon Spirits, beer from Yukon Brewing and BC wines from Quails Gate Winery.
The event ticket includes a delicious five course meal, two drinks and culinary themed guided tours of the boat by a Parks Canada interpreter. Live music for the evening will be provided by Whitehorse’s own Grant Simpson.
- Saturday, August 20, 2016 – 6:30 p.m.
- Chef Carson Schiffkorn, Inn on the Lake (Marsh Lake, YT)
- Chef Troy King, Inn on the Lake (Marsh Lake, YT)
- Chef Marco Desmond, Starfire Restaurant (Skagway, Alaska)
- Chef Miche Genest, Boreal Gourmet (Whitehorse, YT)
- Chef Eric Pateman, Edible Canada (Vancouver, BC)
- Crudités selection of fresh and pickled local vegetables
- Marsh lake whitefish stuffed confit tomato cup accompanied by sauce au dam
- Oyster bisque served with birch scented bannock
- Coal fire seared hanger steak accompanied by tantalus sauce
- Sirloin of Yukon elk roast pomme purée of local potatoes, creamed local greens, fresh Yukon peas, morel
- Trio of desserts apple cheechako mini pie, bonanza plum pudding with hard rock sauce, sourdough blueberry tart